Authentic leaders align their leadership style with their personal purpose and values, and that is what helps them inspire and perform consistently.
So how exactly do you go about creating this style? You can start with the exploration of your values, assumptions and beliefs about yourself.
Answer these 4 questions:
- What are your reasons for being a leader and how are you influencing people today?
- What results are you getting, both positive and negative?
- Who specifically are you leading today?
- How does your leadership impact the relationships of those you are leading? Note again both the positive and negative effects.
Then consider the following 4 desirable outcomes:
- How can your personal values (e.g. integrity) affect your leadership, and what does your leadership look like after it has been affected by these values?
- What can you do to develop your team’s skills and competencies and enable each member to deliver on performance?
- What can you do to inspire your team to focus on their skills and create consistent performance?
- What measurements will you use to evaluate your leadership style and the relationships that you have with each of your team members?
After considering these 8 questions, try to create a deliverable leadership statement of your style, philosophy, values and intentions.
Then deliver it!
How can you keep building on your effective leadership style? How can we help?